Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Croc Hunter

Since its conception as a wildlife sanctuary, the intention has always been to introduce freshwater crocodiles into the Mareeba Wetlands. The area was full of crocs fifty years ago but after a long spell of heavy hunting and the drainage of the permanent waterways they disappeared completely.

It might sound a little stupid, putting crocs into a waterway, but the fish-eating freshies (unlike their bulkier cousins) are reasonably passive towards humans unless provoked. You can even go swimming with them if you're keen enough (though you could lose a few digits if the freshie mistakes you for a fish). Generally these little reptiles will clear-off as quickly as possible if they hear us oafish humans approaching.

Crocs are needed to keep the ecosystem in balance. Without a big predator in our waterways the fish are getting big, fat and lazy. The big fish are eating all the little fish and this is unhealthy competition for the birds. The theory (which is all we've got when it comes to things like this) is that putting in crocs will help maintain the balance. The eggs and hatchlings are also a popular, protein-rich delicacy for the birds and other reptiles around.

A few years back the EPA gave us permission to capture forty crocs from further downstream (where the crocs are still living in healthy numbers) and to then release these into our lagoons. The wardens at the Wetlands have been too busy to do anything with this and at the end of this year the permit will expire and they'll have missed their window of opportunity.

I heard about this unfortunate little predicament in my first week at the Wetlands as a volunteer. My cunning little mind took quiet note of this and in the dark recesses of my skull, began its machinations. A few subtle questions and some gentle probing gave me the information I needed and I then put my case to the wardens and management. I'd already proven my predilection for hard work by this stage and with the help of the Internet (God bless those proud and noble geeks) I was able to put together the outline of a strategy that looked good enough to work.

Within two weeks I was handed the job of designing and implementing the plan to capture and relocate forty freshwater crocodiles into the Wetlands. The wardens, already overloaded with work and with as much crocodile knowledge as I have, were only too happy to offload this job onto me. I've been given a huge amount of autonomy over the project, reporting directly to the manager of the Wetlands on my progress.

For almost a month now I've been researching crocs, talking with croc handlers, examining sites and contemplating logistics. The plan is beginning to take shape and by the end of November, if all goes well, I will have all forty crocs enjoying the good life at Club Mareeba. All I have to do now is start practicing my calls of "Crikey!" and "Have a go at this one!!". Hopefully Santa will know where to drop off my khaki shorts this Christmas.

1 Comments:

At 20 September, 2006 16:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zonski,
Smih here. Need a hand North?

Smithy
0421 067 867
smithmj76@hotmail.com
Crikey, what an idea. Great work brother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home