Monday, December 11, 2006

The Misnomer

I have a knack for choosing really shit titles for my blogs. My little trip through Asia, I called the “Leopard’s Tale” even though I saw not one wild leopard and the majority of the trip was actually spent in the back of a Tibetan supply truck (or squatting over a Tibetan dunny).

I thought “Aztec Gold” would be a catchy title for my South American blog and it was only months after setting off that I discovered that the Aztecs were found up around Central America, in places like Mexico, and were never anywhere near where I was hanging out.

It should be no surprise to anybody then that my adventure around Australia the great journey “Into the Never Never”, saw me travel only as far as Cairns and is now coming to a close without me ever coming near the true Never Never of the Northern Territory. It’s been over six months since I set out from Sydney and I have barely scratched the surface of Australia. A chance to catch crocodiles is not something most people get to do however and it was definitely not one I could pass up.

I’m lucky enough to have both family and friends living normal lives back in Sydney, and it is Christmas once again. All this traveling can wear you out and I’m clearly due a holiday as I’m sure you will all agree. It’s time to say goodbye to the Jackaroo and hang up my swag for a little while at least.

I can’t lounge around forever mind you. I will have to get out and into it all again when the new-year rolls around. Maybe I’ll return here for some more crocodile work and to help them setup an animal hospital in Cairns (there’s even talk of paying me for my conservation work, which would be a novel experience).

I will have to see the rest of Australia at some point however; the West Coast, the true Outback and the forests of Tasmania are just some of the wonders yet to be explored. There are a few countries out there I’ve not yet burdened with my presence too, and both Alaska and Africa have been high on the list for a while now.

For now however, it's time to stop and enjoy a Christmas the way it should be: on the beach, getting sunburnt, with a beer in one hand and a cricket bat in the other.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home